This element is found in great abundance in stars and gas giant planets. Molecular clouds of H2 are associated with star formation. Hydrogen plays a vital role in powering stars through proton-proton reaction and CNO cycle nuclear fusion
- The largest application of H2 is for the processing of fossil
fuels and in the production of ammonia.
- It is used as a shielding gas in welding methods such as atomic
- H2 is used as a hydrogenating agent, particularly in increasing
the level of saturation of unsaturated fats and oils and in the
production of methanol.
- It is used as the rotor coolant in electrical generators at
power stations, because it has the highest thermal conductivity of
- It is widely used as a lifting agent in balloons and airships.
- Hydrogen is used vastly for the inflation of weather balloons.